The Street Department strives to maximize the life of the Watertown's transportation facilities and to provide a high quality driving surface on approximately120 miles of city streets through a comprehensive maintenance, repair, and sweeping program including timely and efficient snow removal, street de-icing, and sanding operations. The maintenance program consists of scheduled annual asphalt overlays, crack sealing on approximately 60 blocks per year, and seal coating of about 280 blocks per year.
If you have questions regarding Street Department activities, or need to report an issue, please reference the Street Department phone list.
The Street Department shares the responsibility of maintaining Watertown's storm water management systems by mowing detention ponds, cleaning trash screens on storm sewer inlets, and clearing and regrading overland flow paths. The Street Department is largely responsible for the annual spring city-wide cleanup week held in May. The department also assists in the construction of numerous park and recreation amenities.
The Street Department activities include:
- Blading and graveling of gravel surfaces and township obligations every four to six weeks
- Spraying and mowing right of way
- Milling and paving, control of same
- Paving 50 to 60 blocks per year
- Seal coating 160 blocks per year
- Drainage system cleaning and mowing
- Repair of equipment
- Specification for new equipment
- Current recall list
- Safety programs: public, employee, and workers
- Snow fencing: 10th Avenue North, Third Avenue North, Cutts Avenue, City Park, North Ridge, and 10th Avenue North gardens
- Mix salt and sand
- Apply sanding mixture
- Snow removal and snow removal from downtown
- Sweeping all streets and avenues every three to four weeks
- Extensive patching of city streets
- Spring run-off control
- Material specification for city
- Traffic control devices and signs
- Traffic striping and markings