General InformationThe Watertown Police Department offers an internship program to students pursuing a degree in criminal justice or similar field and who are enrolled in an accredited college or university. Our internship program is not merely an observational ride-along. Our program is designed to provide educational and work-related experience to the student while he/she does some meaningful work that benefits our agency. Our program is flexible to accommodate the needs and requirements of many different colleges and universities, but is restricted to a maximum of 150 hours and no more than 10 weeks in duration.
Internship Periods and Application DeadlinesThe WPD worked in cooperation with local colleges to establish recurring application deadlines that provide successful applicants enough time to secure and adjust their upcoming schedule, while still affording unsuccessful applicants time to seek other internship arrangements.
Internship Period/Semester Application Deadline
Spring (Jan-May) November 1st
Summer (May-Aug) April 1st
Fall (Aug-Dec) July 1st
Selection ProcessThe WPD can accommodate one intern per semester and selects interns through a competitive process. Applications must be submitted by the deadlines outlined above. Once a given deadline is reached, the WPD will review all submitted applications and schedule oral interviews with each applicant. Those interviews generally take place within the two weeks following the deadline. Applicants are judged based on their qualifications, educational and work history, oral interview, and the value of the work they are proposing to perform during their internship. Successful applicants must also pass a background investigation.
What is Needed to Apply?A link to the on-line application is provided below. The following information is needed in order to complete and submit the application:
- Your contact information to include a valid email address
- The time period during which you intend to do your internship
- Information about your college (major, credits earned/needed, GPA)
- Contact info for the person from your school who will serve as a liaison or coordinator
- Work history (employer name, position, dates, etc.) for your three most recent jobs
- You will be required to submit a short essay outlining the meaningful work or project you intend to do during your internship (2000 character maximum). Some example projects are explained in more detail here.
Costs Associated with Our ProgramThere are some nominal costs associated with our internship program in addition to the fees and tuition charged by your college or university. You are responsible for those costs, which are related to a drug screen (usually around $75) that will be required prior to beginning the internship and a WPD Intern logo shirt (around $20) that will be worn during your internship.
Does my College or University Qualify?At present, the WPD has agreements in place with:
- Lake Area Technical Institute
- Mt. Marty College
- Colorado Technical University
- Southeast Technical Institute
- Southwest Minnesota State University
- National American University
Online Internship Application