Spring Litter Blitz
Instructions for the 2019 Spring Litter Blitz - Thank you for doing your part!
Please pick up your bags and supplies at the Watertown Community Foundation Office 211 E. Kemp
April 15-May 1. Office hours 8:30 am-4:30 pm. Closed 4-19, 25, & 26. Call 605-882-3731 for assistance. Please return supplies promptly to drop-off site. Other groups need them too, and supplies are limited.
Keep safety first!
- Wear bright-colored clothing with safety vest provided
- Long-sleeved shirt and long pants, gloves and boots
- Be aware of traffic conditions and use crosswalks and signals where available
Picking up Trash and Recycling:
- Your zone includes both sides of the road, and median and bike trail, if applicable. Long sticks, extendable grabber tools, and buckets may be useful.
- Orange bags ~ Trash only
- Caps from any plastic bottles
- Gray Hefty drawstring bags ~ Recyclables only
- Empty pop/beer cans
- Plastic pop or water bottles (caps removed)
- Clean cardboard (corrugated and thin)
- As you are walking, if you see an unsightly property or junk items, make a note of location and inform the Police Dept. at 882-6210 for follow-up.
- Keep track of these items to fill out feedback form: number of workers, hours worked, strangest item/most common item, suggestions for future improvements.
- Take a group picture if possible and random action photos and email Jill Slobotski at firstname.lastname@example.org for posting on Facebook or other media.
When the bags are full:
- Tie bags shut.
- Take to the Watertown Street Dept. at 730 Arrow Ave NE. Separate your bags into the collection areas for Trash and Recycling.
- Leave any unused bags, and leave the safety vests, buckets, and grabbers to be re-used. They will be shuttled back to WCF for use by other groups.
- If you have large, bulky items or are unable to transport your bags, leave them at an intersection or easily-identifiable location, and call the Sanitation Dept. at 882-6219, 8:00-4:30, Mon. – Fri. and ask for your bags to be picked up.
After the Clean-up Week ~ Your Group Could Win $100!
- Complete Feedback Form on city website.
- This information is extremely valuable for planning future events and reporting results. Suggestions/comments welcome!
- Groups that complete a Feedback Form will be entered into a drawing for $100 in Watertown Bucks. Drawing will be held during the May __ City Council Meeting. Need not be present to win. Thank you so much for your participation in the Spring Litter Blitz!
‘Like’ us! https://www.facebook.com/WatertownCleanGreen
Barb Brinkman 605-882-2933 Coordinator