News Flash Home
The original item was published from 12/10/2015 8:37:05 AM to 12/31/2015 7:05:01 AM.

News Flash

Home Page Watertown News

Posted on: December 10, 2015

[ARCHIVED] WFR Responds to Carbon Monoxide Detector

Watertown Fire Rescue responded to a CO (Carbon Monoxide) detector alarm at a residence.

Watertown Fire Rescue responded to a CO (Carbon Monoxide) detector alarm at a residence early Thursday am. Upon arrival, WFR 4 gas monitors did not detect any abnormal amounts of CO.

WFR would like to remind residents to replace your in home CO detectors every 5-7 years. If they have a battery backup, the batteries should be replaced every 6 months. Typically this is done when homeowners are changing their clocks in the spring and fall, along with smoke detector batteries.

Reminder...CO comes from any source that burns fuel. Common sources are cars, fireplaces, woodstoves, kerosene space heaters, charcoal grills, as well as gas appliances such as water heaters, ovens, and dryers. Also, never charge marine, car, or any other large batteries indoors. CO cannot be smelled or tasted.

CO is almost the same weight as air, therefore when considering where to place your CO detector, it really doesn't have to be at a certain level. We typically see them at a lower level in a room simply because of the placement of the outlets they need to be plugged in to. Having one on each floor of your home and at least 15 feet away from a heating or cooking source is more important than worrying about the height at which they are to be placed.

Lastly, CO Alarms are only made to last between 5 and 7 years. When the alarm reaches a certain age is will automatically beep continuously or perhaps every 30 seconds. Each brand differs in it's "end of device" warning. Replacing the batteries or plugging it in a different outlet will not fix this problem. The only thing you can do is replace it with a newer model.

If you have a CO alarm going off please evacuate your business/residence and call 911. Symptoms of exposure can include headaches, dizziness, nausea, and confusion. Many people die every year from CO exposure so it is something to take very seriously.

WFR would like to thank you for making your home safe!

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Home Page Watertown News

engineering

Arrow Ave NE Street Closure

Posted on: August 5, 2022