Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
Recycle Update & Aluminum
The week of Monday, April 16, 2018 Recycle Route B iscollected. RecycleRoute B is south of 3rd Ave N. For Single Stream recycling co-mingle all recycle materials in the tan container for collection every other week. If youneed a second recycling container, please go to our website to request one. The City of Watertown will deliver anadditional Tan 95 gallon Single Stream recycling container at no charge.
Please place yourcollection containers out the night before your collection day to avoid missingthe truck. Collection routes beginat 5:00 AM, and there is no set time when they will cover a certain area oftown. Trucks are not rerouted to pick upcontainers that are put out late. Please do not set out your recyclecontainer until it is full. Allcontainers placed on the parkway or boulevard on the day of collection shall beremoved on the same day following collection.
Remember-Neverinclude glass in the recycle container. Glass is not recycled and causes injuries on the sort line.
REMOVE & DISCARD ALLLIDS. All the lids must be manually removed at therecycle facility which is not cost effective.
Here are some interesting facts about ALUMINUM andMETAL recycling:
· 105,784aluminum cans are recycled every minute in the United States. That makes 55 billion cans per year recycled!
· Aluminumcans are collected, shredded, melted, and flattened into sheets. The sheets are coiled, cut, and shaped intocans. The whole process may take aslittle as 60 days from your recycling collection.
· Aluminumis the most abundant metal in earth’s crust, however many other metals are mucheasier to process. Aluminum fromrecycled containers takes 95% less energy to produce than mining and processingaluminum ore.
· Toreduce contaminants, odors, and to keep pests away, rinse your metal andaluminum cans before putting in your recycling container.
· Aluminumcan be recycled over and over. In fact,67% of all aluminum ever produced is still in use today.
· Thecar you currently own is most likely made from metals used in earlier model carsdue to recycling.
· Recyclingaluminum and metal saves landfill space!
Thanks for yourinterest in and awesome support of the single stream curbside recycle program! Please visit the Watertown website www.watertownsd.us forfurther information or to request a recycle container.