News Flash

Fire Department

Posted on: May 27, 2019

WFR responds to oven fire

banner-fd

On May 27th at 5:24 Watertown Fire Rescue responded to a call for residential kitchen fire at 614 South Broadway Street. Caller reported the source of the fire as the kitchen stove. 

Upon arrival, Fire crews observed thin smoke was present inside the home. All doors appeared to be open. Origin of the fire was located under the stove in the kitchen of the single family home. Firefighters used a water extinguisher to quench the flames. 

Fire Crews burnt food located on the floor where the stove had been prior to investigation. Debris was cleaned up and tenant was advised to contact her landlord prior to operating the stove. 

Safety tips to prevent kitchen fires

Stay in the kitchen-The most common fires occur from people leaving food on the stove unattended. Don’t leave the kitchen while you have things cooking, If you have to leave the kitchen, turn off the stove and take your pots and pans off the heat. This is equally important if you are broiling food in the oven – take the food out of the oven and turn off the broiler.

Be aware of the items around the stove top

Kitchen towels, oven mitts, appliance cords and even curtains can easily catch fire if set near a hot burner. Always move flammable items away from your stove top. “And be careful when using towels to move a pot off the burner. Ideally, use an oven mitt, but if using a towel, be sure it doesn’t dangle down and touch the burner

Keep a fire extinguisher in or near the kitchen

In the case you do have a fire, a fire extinguisher can make the difference between an easy to clean up burned pan and a kitchen engulfed in flames. Be sure you actually know how to use it, too.

Change the batteries in your smoke detector

Chances are you have a smoke detector in the kitchen or in the room adjacent to the kitchen. Its not enough to have a smoke detector – you need to make sure the smoke detector is operable. Its recommends changing your smoke detector batteries every six months.

Never throw hot grease in the garbage can

First of all, know the smoke points of your oils and never subject an oil with a low smoke point to high heat cooking – it can catch fire, Second, never throw hot grease in the garbage can. Even if the grease isn’t on fire, it can cause something in the garbage to burn.” Instead, let grease cool and dispose of it in an old coffee can.

Be prepared to put out a fire

Though you don’t want a fire to occur, be prepared in the case it does. The best thing to do if you have a stove top fire is to put a proper fitting lid over the pan or pot to smother it. Never use water and never pick a burning pan up and put it in the sink – you not only risk spreading the fire to the sink, you risk getting badly burned if the burning ingredients spill out. Don’t use flour to put out a fire – it can burn, too – and it makes a mess.

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Fire Department

Apparatus

WFR responds to field fire

Posted on: June 11, 2019
Apparatus

WFR Responds to Porch Fire

Posted on: June 3, 2019
Apparatus

Vehicle Crashes Into Post Office

Posted on: May 28, 2019
Apparatus

WFR responds to Vehicle versus Cow

Posted on: May 28, 2019
Apparatus

WFR Responds to 3 Vehicle Accident

Posted on: March 20, 2019
Apparatus

WFR Responds to Kennel Fire

Posted on: November 29, 2018
Apparatus

WFR Receives Grant from FireHouse Subs

Posted on: August 24, 2018