Create a Website Account - Manage notification subscriptions, save form progress and more.
Watertown Fire Rescue responded to several calls within the city limits of residents burning garden debris and yard waste on Sunday April 19th, 2020. WFR would like to remind residents that it is illegal to open burn within city limits. Residents are not allowed to burn leaves, branches, or garden waste. These items should be placed in the green yard waste container. The green yard waste container can be purchased from the Watertown Landfill for $55.38.
City Ordinance 13.0316 "Open Burning"
1. Open burning is the burning of a bonfire, recreational fire, rubbish fire, or other fire in an outdoor location where fuel being burned is not contained in an incinerator, outdoor fireplace or barbecue grill.
2. Permits are required for open burning from the Fire Chief of the Fire Department.
3. Recreational fires are not required to be permitted but shall be regulated as follows:
4. All open burning fires, and recreational fires must be attended by an adult during any time combustion is occurring.
5. If any open burning fire or recreational fire results in a sustainable complaint by adjacent residents or property owners; or poses a threat to persons or property, the Fire Department or other law enforcement personnel may order the property owner to extinguish the fire. In the event the property owner refuses or fails to obey a lawful command to extinguish any fire, the Fire Department may extinguish the fire and a citation may be issued.