Public Service Announcement
Watertown Sanitation Department
Recycle Update & Plastic
The week of Monday, June 29, 2015 Recycle Route B is collected. Recycle Route B is south of 3rd Ave N. Due to the July 3rd City Holiday, the Friday, July 3rd route will be collected on Wednesday, July 1st. For Single Stream recycling co-mingle all recycle materials in the tan container for collection every other week.
If you need a second recycling container, please place your cursor over Government in the upper left hand corner of this website, then place your cursor over Departments, then Regional Landfill, and finally click on Request A Container to order a recycle container please go to our website to request one. The City of Watertown will deliver an additional Tan 95 gallon Single Stream recycling container at no charge.
Please place your collection containers out the night before your collection day to avoid missing the truck. Collection routes begin at 5:00 AM, and there is no set time when they will cover a certain area of town. Trucks are not rerouted to pick up containers that are put out late. Please do not set out your recycle container until it is full. All containers placed on the parkway or boulevard on the day of collection shall be removed on the same day following collection.
Remember-Never include glass in the recycle container. Glass is not recycled and causes injuries on the sort line.
REMOVE & DISCARD ALL LIDS. Plastic bottles with lids attached do not collapse and take up extra volume in the recycling. All the lids must be manually removed at the recycle facility which is not cost effective.
Here are some ways to help make the PLASTIC component of recycling more cost effective:
• Include #1 & #2 bottles with screw on lids (pop, water, shampoo, laundry detergent, etc.).
• Empty and Rinse the bottles.
• REMOVE & DISCARD THE LIDS. Plastic bottles with lids attached do not collapse and take up extra volume in the recycling. All the lids must be manually removed at the recycle facility which is not efficient or cost effective.
• Do not include containers that held salad dressing, cooking oils or motor oils. The oil residue in these containers contaminates the plastic load.
• Do not include ice cream buckets or yogurt containers even if stamped #1 or #2. The rim of snap lid containers is made of another plastic and contaminates the recycle plastic when melted.
Plastics coded #3, #5, and #7 are not recycled, please discard in garbage. These do not combine with #1 or #2 plastics when melted.
Thanks for your interest in and awesome support of the single stream curbside recycle program! Please place your cursor over Government in the upper left hand corner of this website, then place your cursor over Departments, then Regional Landfill, and finally click on Request A Container to order a recycle container.