Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
Watertown Fire Rescue responded to 1 Kemp Ave East (Chamber of Commerce building) on September 11, 2019 at 08:35 AM for a gas leak. Watertown Municipal Utilities requested assistance with a gas leak in the basement area of the building. A private contractor was working in the basement and cut the live natural gas line with a power tool. Utilities crews shut the gas off to the building but dangerous levels of natural gas had already accumulated inside the basement. The building was evacuated. The building was ventilated with portable fans until the gas dissipated. Occupants were not allowed in the building for about one hour. Fire Rescue and Utilities used gas meters to ensure no levels of gas were present before allowing people back into the structure.